A Modern Take on Classic Plaid for Fall

plaid smocked top

I grew up wearing plaid year-round because I had a mom who loved to dress us in it.  There were a few years in college when I swore it off (my rebellious phase – ha!), but I seem to always come back to it around this time of year.  I know it can usually feel a little preppy/traditional, but if you choose the right pieces & style them in a modern way, they can feel totally fresh.

I love this smocked top because it’s lightweight enough to wear now, but the plaid pattern gives it a fall-forward feel.  Dress it up with black trousers or dress it down with jeans (I think this would be stunning with white denim too!).  A lot of smocked tops I’ve tried are super-fitted to the point that I don’t feel comfortable – this one has a slim flattering silhouette that doesn’t feel like a bodycon fit (I got my normal size) + the puff sleeves add just enough interest without being too dramatic.

Ann Taylor just launched their Friends of Ann Event, where you can get 40% off your purchase + an extra 10% off full-price pants & denim with code FRIENDS (this top is included!).  My top picks include this ruched sleeve top, this floral skirt, this ribbed cardigan, this clip dot blouse, this puff sleeve cardigan, this floral cami & these pearl hoops.  See more in the scrolling bar below!

how to make plaid look modern

Ann Taylor Plaid Smocked Top

transitional fall style

Modern plaid top

wood bead bag

cropped flare jeans

Modern_Plaid

What I’m wearing:
Ann Taylor Plaid Smocked Top,
Similar Jeans, Similar Heels (here or here),
BaubleBar Necklace, ASOS Earrings, BaubleBar Rings,
A New Day Sunglasses, Lips: Maybelline Caramel Collector

MY ANN TAYLOR SALE PICKS

The post A Modern Take on Classic Plaid for Fall appeared first on Penny Pincher Fashion.

Post a Comment

0 Comments