My Monthly Edit

September Monthly Edit

MISSING
I have absolutely no regrets about moving in with my parents to help caretake for my dad, but there are things I really miss about living in my own home.  Seeing all the fall decorations that are hitting stores right now makes me sad that I won’t get to decorate for the season.  I know it seems trivial, but it was one of my favorite things to do & it brought me so much joy.  So, instead, I thought I’d share some of my favorite decor finds here so I can live vicariously through those of you who are decorating for fall.  I’d swap out my throw pillows for rich colors & textures like this, this, this & this.  Then I’d layer this cozy throw blanket on the back of the couch.  These gold candlestick holders would be perfect on a mantle or table centerpiece & these clear glass pumpkins make great accent pieces too!

BUYING
Since the sun has been completely blocked by smoke from the wildfires, it’s felt unusually cold here.  I’m so glad I took the time last weekend to pull all my fall clothes out of storage because I’ve been needing warmer styles to wear lately.  It also was a good chance to evaluate any gaps in my wardrobe & identify pieces I’d like to add for the colder weather.  Recent knitwear purchases I’ve made include this rust colored sweater, this camel cardigan, this funnelneck pullover & this striped crewneck.

LOVING
At the end of last winter, I finally had to retire the black quilted bag that I’d owned for years.  It was my go-to for the longest time, so I was sad to say goodbye to it and begin the hunt for a comparable replacement.  But I was happy to find this one – the design is exactly what I wanted and, even though it’s not real leather, the quality is amazing.  It’s the perfect size for everyday use & I like that I can wear it over the shoulder or as a crossbody.  Other bags I’m loving for fall: this bucket bag, this burnt orange clutch, this brown crossbodythis classic tote.  I’ll be sharing more affordable fall handbags in a big round-up tomorrow, so stay tuned!

WEARING
Do you keep track of how long you’ve had beauty products and throw them out regularly?  I do a pretty good job of switching out my mascara & eye shadow, but I’m a little embarrassed to admit that there are some lipsticks I’ve had for several years.  I decided to do a massive clean-out recently and then went shopping to replace some of my most-worn colors.  I picked up this classic brick red (in Nutmeg), this toasty caramel (in Caramel Collector) & this warm nude (I Will Succeed).  These all have a matte finish with quite impressive staying power – on days when I want a little added shine, I’ll layer this versatile gloss (in Nude Shimmer) on top.

MAKING
There’s nothing more relaxing to me than baking, especially in the fall when it’s rainy & cold outside.  Last weekend, I made these pumpkin muffins and they were a huge hit with even my pickiest eater.  I love that I can freeze them & pull out when I want a warm treat to go with my coffee (I swear by these parchment liners – literally nothing sticks to them so your muffins or cupcakes come out completely clean.).  I also can’t wait to try this pumpkin baked oatmeal, this pumpkin bread & these maple walnut scones – yum!

CRAVING
At the beginning of every season, I make a “wardrobe wish list” of items I’d like to add to my closet.  This has really helped eliminate impulse purchases and keep me focused on pieces I know I’ll wear regularly.  I can’t believe that, for all the boots I have in my closet, I don’t own a light taupe pair.  This pair was included in the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, but were sold out in my size, so I missed out – of course, now they’re back in stock…but the full price is more than I want to pay, so I’m watching closely for a markdown.  In the meantime, I’m exploring some less expensive options like these ($20 off w/ code SEEYASUMMER), these & these.

The post My Monthly Edit appeared first on Penny Pincher Fashion.

Post a Comment

0 Comments